Wednesday, February 27, 2008

364 Days Left Until A-ron Gets Home


One day at a time! I wanted to post an article about A-ron's deployment. So here it is. Today has been pretty good I have been so busy with work I have not had time to even think about how I am feeling. I really could not sleep last night it was so hard, I kept having nightmares and would wake up and panic, luckily my sister Jessie spent the night with me and that really helped. I know that with a little bit of "Faith" I will begin to feel a little bit better.
So my motto for this year is
{One Day At a Time}

Hundreds of Utah soldiers begin 12-month deployment
February 26th, 2008 @ 11:58am
Tom Callan and Nicole Gonzales reporting

Approximately 300 soldiers from the Utah National Guard's 142nd Military Intelligence Battalion left Utah this morning to begin a 12-month deployment. Members will be the only military intelligence battalion serving in Afghanistan.
This battalion is one of the more experienced we've seen leave the Utah Air National Guard Base. More than half of the soldiers have been on an overseas mission before, and some have even been deployed three to four times. Regardless of experience, it's always hard on the families.
Sheny Allen said goodbye to her husband this morning. "We tried not to really think about it but explained to our kids what's going on, and just that he's going over for a good reason and helping the people over in Afghanistan," said Allen.
These soldiers have known about this mission to Afghanistan since last summer. Capt. John Martinez, with the Utah Army National Guard, said the area is definitely growing more dangerous, and that's why his battalion has so many different disciplines of intelligence. Martinez said, "Military intelligence, we can do everything, so there's guys that do signal intelligence, imagery intelligence, just different stuff."
Others say their main mission is to seek information peacefully from locals with the help of interpreters. Sgt. Ron Hill says, "Essentially we just talk to the local people, build up a lot of rapport with them, and then we hope that they trust us enough to let us know before anything happens."
"We're going to go over and try and win the hearts and the minds of the people. That's what we're training for: knowing how to talk to people, understand their culture, hopefully help them understand our culture a little bit and if at all possible, save some lives," said Spc. Daniel Russo.
Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman expressed how proud he is of this battalion. "You're doing something that is the most important thing that any of us can do in life," Huntsman said. "When we're at the end of journey of life the only thing that we're remembered by is service."
The soldiers are on their way to Ft. Lewis, Wash. They will spend about two months in Washington to receive additional training before heading to Afghanistan.
While in Afghanistan, the 142nd will help the 101st Airborne Division and will conduct a variety of intelligence missions.

3 comments:

Cristine said...

I love that you have some new posts up!! I think one thing we will take from this entire experience is that we are much stronger than we think we are.
Looking forward to hearing about your year. Keep up the posts!!
Also, Mona and I are planning to go to The Other Boleyn Girl next week. Would you be interested?

Brittney N said...

Meggie, I was just thinking about you and I hope that you're doing okay with Aaron being gone. I mean, as okay as you can be doing. I'm so grateful for Aaron and everyone else who protects our country! And I'm especially grateful for their wives who let them go! You are so strong, Meg! If you ever need anything, we're all here for you. We love you!

Shan @ Design Gal said...

Hey girl- let's do lunch or dinner! I'll call you okay?