Monday, August 11, 2008

I did it...And lived to tell the tale

So it is Monday and yes I am alive. I ran my first 1/2 marathon on Saturday in Provo. What a cool experience. I ran it with my super cool cousins Jenny and Turk and my awesome aunt Lori. I do have pictures to prove my attendance and if you saw me walk you would know. I can't believe what 13.1 miles can do to your body, I even trained quite a bit and I am still so sore. I really enjoy running and I am proud of myself for accomplishing one of my goals. I am very good at setting goals but very few of them ever get fulfilled and for once I followed through.
I woke up on Saturday morning at 4:30 AM which was not too bad because I could not sleep because I was excited and nervous. Then we drove to Provo, used the restroom, got on the bus and arrived at the starting point. I could not believe how many people were there, it was a pretty neat thing to see. It was really fun running down the provo canyon, Bridal Veil falls is quite beautiful, I will have to go visit it again when I am mentally capable of enjoying it.
I did run the whole 13.1 miles which was what I was hoping for, I was hoping to get this big burst of energy at the end but in fact quite the opposite happened. I finished in 1 hour and 55 minutes and my goal was 2 hours so I was happy to get under what I thought I was going to do it in. I really think I will be a 1/2 marathon runner in the future and I am playing around with the idea of running a full but I am not sold yet.
After the race I went home and painted one of the extra bedrooms with my mom all day, went to a reception, went grocery shopping, came home with my mom finished painting the room and went to bed at 1:30 PM, it was a long day. I am glad that I did keep my body moving so I would not get to stiff. But that night I could not sleep very well because I kept having nightmares that I could not move because my body was so stiff so I kept waking up to keep my body moving. Kind of funny.
Thank you to all the emails and text messages of support and encouragement, it really means alot to me that so many people care about me. I don't know how I got so lucky to have such great friends, it is the greatest blessing to have such a great support team while Aron is gone. So thank you, thank you, thank you!
Also I would like to thank Burgandy for her sweet blog post wishing me good luck so now it is my turn to wish her good luck. GOOD LUCK BURGANDY, you will do great. You are awesome and can't wait to hear how it goes. I know you have a couple of weeks, so when it gets closer I will wish you GOOD LUCK again.
Pictures of the event to come soon...

5 comments:

The Sorensen Family said...

Way to go babe!! I am so happy for you!! I hope I can do a 1/2 in April! Excited to see pictures. Can't believe you didn't just go home and crash! That is what I would have done!

Shan @ Design Gal said...

K seriously, you are amazing! I really want to get together soon! What day works for you?

Morgan & Heidi Taylor said...

AWESOME!!! That is so neat that you ran 13 miles! I'm proud of you! I bet you could totally do a full marathon. All my family that does them say the farthest they run to train is 13 miles and you've already done that!
Well I hope you are doing good! I will come to Sandy in Sept or Oct so we'll have to hang out!

Brittany said...

Good JOB!!!!!!!! I am proud of you! I knew you could do it!!

Aubrey Doyle said...

Ya for Megan! You are awesome! 1/2 marathon is quite impressive! Way to go!